This temple, which had originally been built in brick, was converted into a stone temple during the period of Vikrama Chola
(1118-35 CE). The deity of the temple is known as Tiruvanmikai Eswaramudayar
as well as Perumukkal Udayar in Tamil and
Mukthiyaleeswarar in Sanskrit.
The donations made by the Chola, Pandya, Sambuvaraya, Vijayanagara rulers have been recorded in more than 60 inscriptions found on the temple walls and
vatteluthu inscription dating back to 5th century CE in the
seetha cave rock.